2/24/24

on to reading adventures

As I continue to struggle with memory issues in daily life I also continue to be able to enjoy reading as an ongoing adventure. I have started in on the collected works of Flannery O'Connor, renowned for her fiction that is labelled as "Southern Gothic". Flannery writes as a southerner and a Catholic, and of a world haunted by outbreaks of grace. I had been a fan of hers years before I found myself a student at Columbia Theological Seminary in Decatur, Georgia. There I discovered that my room-mate  could recite my favorrite O'Connors' short story - Revelation - by memory.

This journey along my bookshelf brings me to a collection of the writings of Joan Didion. I know her book "The Year of Magical Thinking" but I have not read many of her other writing - through which she became known as one of the founders of "new journalism". Feel free to send me a note recommeding other authors I might add to to my reading journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment